Dental Mercury Amalgam Removal – A Key To Beating Lyme Disease? Part 1

Your “Silver” Dental Fillings Are Actually 50% Mercury

I remember going to the dentist when I was 12 years and being told that it may be “too hard for me to reach my wisdom teeth with a toothbrush” and therefore “it would be best to put strong tooth fillings in each of them so that I didn’t get cavities”. Looking back, I only wish a wise person had rushed into the examining room at that point and yelled, “Rubbish!” But, of course, no one did. And thus began the placing in my mouth of what would eventually be seven “silver” amalgam fillings before I was out of high school. Of course I was never told that those shiny “silver” amalgam fillings (called silver because of their color) were actually 50% mercury.

Now, most everyone has heard at some point in their life that if a mercury containing thermometer breaks they should immediately evacuate the area and call in a toxic waste removal service. The irony of it is that having mercury containing fillings in ones mouth is the same thing as cracking a mercury containing thermometer and placing it in your mouth. Mercury, one of the most toxic substances on the planet and a powerful immunosuppressant, does not stay bound in the filling, rather it will leave the filling throughout the lifetime of the filling, meaning you are literally swallowing the mercury that seeps out of the filling for as long as the filling is in your mouth; things such as chewing, eating or drinking anything hot or acidic, or grinding your teeth will accelerate this process.

Unfortunately, it is still common practice to use “silver” fillings in dentistry, and some estimate that up to 85% of the population has at least one “silver” filling in their mouth. As well, sometimes mercury is placed underneath caps and a dentist will typically be able to tell from an X-ray if you have mercury underneath any gold caps for example.

Do You Have Lyme Disease AND Mercury Poisoning?

With that being said, when treating Lyme disease or any type of immune-dysfunction or infection, having mercury fillings in ones mouth would likely not bode well for a successful recovery, and your immune system needs all the help it can get to fight off the bad guys. Note: people often have chronic problems with sensitivity to the normal yeast in their gut due to mercury poisoning, and chronic yeast infections, which often will resolve or lessen after removal of the mercury containing fillings. Since Lyme disease itself often suppresses the immune system, adding mercury to the mix can prove fatal. Now, Lyme disease symptoms and mercury poisoning symptoms often overlap and what is tricky is that many people have both concomitantly – so do you have Lyme disease, Lyme disease AND mercury poisoning OR perhaps just mercury poisoning? Thankfully, if you do have mercury fillings in your mouth, there is something you can do to help yourself.

Before I was diagnosed with Lyme disease, I learned that I also had mercury poisoning from the 7 “silver” fillings (again, each are 50% mercury) in my mouth. It wasn’t an acute poisoning such as when someone is exposed to a large amount of mercury at once, but rather micromercurialism which is exposure to tiny amounts of mercury over time. Now, certain people are genetically slow (poor) detoxifers and so they do not excrete toxins, such as heavy metals, as well as others. Thus, toxins stay longer in their bodies and when swallowing mercury, it will accumulate more in their bodies than in others whose bodies are better able to deal with removing toxins. Mercury, besides poisoning critical immune functions, depletes the body of the essential trace mineral Selenium (the precursor to glutathione which is the body’s built in way to detoxify heavy metals and xenobiotics). Selenium binds to and inactivates mercury and your stores of Selenium are often severely depleted by the mercury that is leaching from the fillings and which you are swallowing daily as long as the fillings are in your mouth; thus, you no longer have the protection Selenium affords.

Mercury Poisoning From Your “Silver” Fillings – You Can Do Something To Help Yourself

So, the doctor I had seen said that there were two things I had to do right away – immediately start to supplement with Selenium and make an appointment right away with a certain type of dentist to begin the process of removing my 7 “silver” dental fillings – which is exactly what I did.

In Part 2 of Dental Mercury Amalgam Removal – A Key To Beating Lyme Disease? I will explain the Selenium supplementation protocol I was given. Supplementing with Selenium proved to be one of the most beneficial things I have done since falling ill; it has helped tremendously with mollifying some of my symptoms. Then, in Part 3, I will tell you about the proper protocol for removing and replacing your mercury fillings, including some safer options for replacement materials.

Over the next few months after removing the fillings from my mouth I saw a big improvement in some symptoms, e.g., I no longer experienced sharp nerve pains throughout my body (“lightening pains”), I no longer felt as though my brain was on fire, I was able to walk around for longer periods of time, my blurred vision went away, etc. Even though I am still struggling with chronic Lyme disease, the improvement in some of my symptoms as a result of removing my fillings were much welcomed to say the least!

I really wish my dentist had shown me this mercury disclaimer sheet before placing 7 mercury fillings in my mouth!

Additional Resources:

Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, November 20, 2008
Mercury Dental Amalgams Banned in 3 Countries
FDA, EPA, ADA Still Allow and Encourage Heavy-Metal Fillings

Diagnosis: Mercury: Money, Politics, and Poison by Jane M. Hightower M.D.

Silver Dental Fillings: The Toxic Timebomb by Sam Ziff

Dentistry without mercury by Sam Ziff and Michael F. Ziff

Share